I have struggled with acne for many years and have tried a whole range of shop bought products to get rid of the unsightly spots. In more recent years, I have turned to homemade acne treatments. It took a little bit of experimenting, but I finally found a regime that worked for me using homemade acne creams, washes and face masks.
Homemade Acne Remedies
Using shop-bought acne treatments work for some, but for others, using alternative treatments work better on the skin. Remember, cold water closes the pores whereas warm water opens them. Before applying a face mask, wash the face with warm water and pat dry. Once you have washed off and removed the face mask, wash your face with cold water to close the pores.
Homemade Acne Face Masks
When applying face masks, be sure to avoid the eyes, eyebrows, nostrils and lips.
- My favourite homemade acne facemask consists of egg white and lemon juice. The egg white reduces the size of pores and tightens the skin. Lemons are great at fighting acne and blackheads. Mix the juice of half a lemon with one egg white. Apply to the face and wait for 30 minutes. The skin will feel tight. Rinse with warm water. This mask really worked for me! I used this homemade acne fighting mask weekly and after a few weeks, I saw a dramatic reduction in the size of my pores. My skin was less oily and as a result, I had fewer breakouts!
- Honey also has acne fighting properties. Add a spoonful of honey to the lemon juice and egg whites for an extra acne fighting boost!
- An alternative honey facemask can be made by mixing equal parts of honey, baking soda and coconut oil (one tbsp of each ought to be enough). Apply the mixture to the face by rubbing it into the skin in circular motions. Leave for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Coconut oil works incredibly well on the skin and can help to fight acne thanks to its antibacterial properties. I have previously explored 20 uses for coconut oil. Make a paste from just three ingredients: 1 tbsp of coconut oil, 3 tbsp of oatmeal and a dash of water. Apply the paste to the skin and leave for 15 minutes. Wash off the face with warm water using circular motions.
- A homemade acne fighting exfoliator can be made by mixing sea salt with coconut oil or honey to make a paste. Apply the mixture to the skin in circular motions and gently wash using a damp face cloth.
Homemade Acne Face Washes
- Apple Cider Vinegar is a great acne fighting ingredient as well as one which helps to heal acne scarring. Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar with 3 parts water. Apply to the face with cotton wool, rinse after 15 seconds. Repeat twice daily.
- Honey can also be used as a face wash. Simply rub honey into the skin in a circular motion and then rinse well with warm water.
- Cut a handful of grapes into halves. Rub them onto the skin and then wash the face with warm water.
- Green Tea has many health benefits, it can also be used as a homemade acne facewash! Boil a green tea bag and leave for 5 minutes. Allow the tea bag to cool and then rub all over the face. Rinse with warm water. (You’ve also got a delicious cup of green tea to drink as well!).
- Baking soda is great at unclogging pores, which can often cause acne. This homemade acne face mask should be first tested on a small section of the face in case it causes irritation. Mix 1 tsp of lemon juice to 2 tbsp of baking soda (sometimes called bicarbonate of soda) add water until a paste is formed. Apply the mixture to the face and allow to work for around 10 or 15 minutes. Rinse well with warm water.
Moisturising Acne-prone Skin
My skin has always been incredibly oily. I believed that moisturising the skin would simply make the acne worse. A friend recommended I use coconut oil as a moisturiser. I have now made this part of my daily routine, applying coconut oil in the morning and after using any face mask. It makes my skin feel soft throughout the day. Alternatively, use jojoba oil or aloe vera oil as a moisturiser by applying directly to the skin twice daily.
‘On The Spot’ Homemade Acne Treatments’
- Apply honey to spots and leave overnight, rinse in the morning.
- Dab toothpaste on spots and leave overnight – wash the face in the morning (I personally use this method and it really does work!).
- Alternatively, dab lemon juice onto the spot.
Acne Fighting Tips
- Wash your pillowcases regularly. It’s amazing how much oil transfers onto the pillow each night from both the face and hair. These oils then rub onto the skin and can cause spots.
- If you smoke, stop! Not only for the sake of your lungs and organs, but also for the sake of your skin. Since quitting smoking 6 years ago my skin has rapidly improved. With every puff of smoke, a multitude of chemicals are blown onto the skin which can cause acne.
- When my acne was at its worst, I started to take Vitamin E and Zinc supplements. After about 3 weeks, I really started to notice a difference.
- Wash your hair regularly and keep it out of your face to prevent oils coming into contact with the skin.
- Drink plenty of water each day. Water really does help to flush out impurities from the body and in turn, it will improve the condition of your skin.
- Clean your phone! Phones are full of germs and these transfer onto your face everytime you take a call.
- Make sure you remove all makeup from your skin each night. Makeup clogs the pores which can be a cause of acne.
- After exercising, make sure you always wipe sweat from your face.
- Stress is a major cause of acne. If you are going through a stressful time, try some relaxation techniques and make sure you get enough sleep.
Do yo have any acne fighting tips using homemade remedies? If so, please let us know in the comments below.0