I saw these sorts of quizzes doing the rounds around Mother’s Day. You ask your kids a bunch of fun questions about yourself and keep a record. I thought this idea was so sweet. However, I didn’t just want to ask my 5-year-old, Aurelia questions about what she thought of me. I wanted to find out more about her as a person. How she feels about herself, the world around her and also us as parents.
I put together a list of fun questions to ask your kids. I then asked Aurelia these questions and recorded the answers, no editing, just typing them up as she answered them. Here are our results!
1. What’s the funniest word you know?
2. Which 5 words do you think best describe you?
Kind, caring, I have brown hair, friendly, loveable
3. If you could be invisible for a day what would you do?
Play pranks on everybody but my sister
4. What makes you a good friend?
Because I am kind. If my friends hurt themselves I help them.
5. What is your favourite colour?
Yellow and pink
6. Who is your best friend?
I don’t just have one best friend, I have lots. Lots of my friends are my best friends.
7. What do you want to be when you grow up?
What has a lot of money – a doctor. But not a Doctor like you Mummy, one that helps people with their blood.
8. If you could go anywhere in the world on holiday, where would you go?
9. Do you want to get married one day?
Yes, maybe, I don’t know.
10. How many children would you like?
0. I don’t want to born anyone. It hurts!
11. How old are you when you become an adult?
12. What are you good at?
I’m good at lots of things – reading, maths writing.
13. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
To jump, run fast and colour power!
14. If you had one wish, what would it be?
I’d wish that everybody was my friend.
15. What are you scared of?
The dark, a bit and rain when I’m being my superhero – Catgirl Aurelia.
16. What is the hardest thing you have ever had to do?
To get my job back! (I was utterly puzzled by this! Apparently this was a challenge on one of Aurelia’s favourite Roblox games!
17. What things make you happy?
When me and daddy play and when I watch my favourite videos on Youtube.
18. What things make you sad?
When my Mummy isn’t with me. I don’t like it when I go to my Grandma’s and I don’t see my Mummy because I miss you.
19. If you could change your name, what would your new name be?
20. If you were given a million pounds and had to spend it all in one go, what would you buy?
A really expensive toy!
21. How do you show people that you care about them?
By looking after them and looking after them when they’re hurt and taking them to the teacher.
22. What is the best book you have ever read?
All Julia Donaldson books. Oh, I have to pick one? Ok, A Squash and a Squeeze then.
23. Would you rather be tiny or huge?
Huge, like a whale or a giant because that would be cool!
24. Would you rather live in the clouds or underwater?
In the clouds – I could fly and swoop at my friends when I’m practising to fly!
25. Would you rather have a million pounds or a million friends?
26. What is your favourite Nursery Rhyme?
Im a little teapot
27. Which is your favourite animal?
An elephant of course
28. How strong is your Daddy?
A tiny bit less strong than me
29. If you could be an animal for a day what would you be?
An elephant, my favourite
30. What is your favourite food?
Chocolate and pasta (but not together).
Questions about Mummy
1. What does Mummy always say to you?
Oooh you have skinky toes
2. What makes Mummy happy?
When I kiss you.
3. What makes Mummy sad?
When we’re not together and I’m at my Grandmas.
4. What does Mummy do when I’m on my own?
Text me and sat stuff (she hasn’t got a phone?!)
5. What is Mummy really good at?
Twerking and dancing!
6. What is Mummy’s favourite food?
7. What is Mummy’s favourite drink?
8. What makes you proud of Mummy?
When you dance.
9. In what ways are me and you the same?
We both like to dance and play Minecraft.
10. What does Daddy love most about Mummy?
When you do funny stuff, make funny noises and snore. Daddy loves it!
Questions about Daddy
1. What does Daddy always say to you?
Aurelia, you are adorable.
2. What makes Daddy happy?
When we play Roblox together.
3. What makes Daddy sad?
When I’m poorly, that makes Daddy really sad.
4. What does Daddy do when I’m on my own?
He looks for all the best games for me on Roblox so when we’re together we can play them!
5. What is Daddy really good at?
Singing and whistling. (He’s really not!)
6. What is Daddy’s favourite food?
7. What is Daddy’s favourite drink?
Latte. Daddy really really loves Lattes!
8. What makes you proud of Daddy?
When he trumps. He can do lots of trumps.
9. In what ways are Daddy and you the same?
We both love to play Roblox.
10. What does Mummy love most about Daddy?
When Daddy makes you laugh.
We had so much fun compiling this list of fun questions to ask your kids. We have even more asking Aurelia the questions! More than that, I learnt a great deal about my child and what she thinks of us as parents. We also got to learn a little more about her fears without the distress of discussing them!
I had an idea – I’ll repeat this process in a year’s time and see how different the results are!
If you’d like some inspiration for fun questions to ask your kids, see the info graphs below. Please feel free to print off and share! I hope you enjoy this little activity as much as we did!