So today I celebrate my 35th birthday! It feels somewhat of a milestone! Here are 35 things I’ve learnt in 35 years!
1. As you get older your circle of friends gets smaller. But a handful of good friends is better than a hundred fake friends.
2. Family is everything. Everything else is fleeting.
3. Life is more important than work. Don’t work yourself into the ground to make someone else rich.
4. Following your dreams isn’t impossible – it might be hard but it’s worth the graft.
5. Money doesn’t equate to happiness.
6. Reading is one of the best things you can do to improve your life! This year I embarked on a reading challenge just to push myself!
7. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks of you, you’ve got to love and be happy with yourself.
8. Most nights out are just not worth the 3-day hangover! I have more fun staying sober on a night out!
9. Once I hit my 30s, I couldn’t eat whatever I want and still lose weight by exercising!
10. Grandparents are some of the best friends you can ever have. Cherish them while you can.
11. Hoarding tonnes of objects doesn’t mean you keep more memories – its just clutter.
12. Create real memories with your family whenever you can.
13. Put down the phone! Scrolling through social media can be detrimental to your mental health.
14. Keeping a spotlessly clean home is less important than spending time with your children.
15. Kids grow up incredibly fast! Cherish them while they’re young!
16. Sleep is precious – get it while you can!
17. Don’t hold onto negative experiences and emotions.
18. Life is all about experiences and making mistakes. Learning from your mistakes is essential.
19. What was important to you at 25 probably won’t matter at 35.
20. Worrying about the future gets you nowhere. Deal with problems as they occur.
21. Travel as much as you can – every adventure is a new wonderful experience!
22. Strictly following the rules all the time is no fun – be a little rebellious at times!
23. Fruit and vegetables are simply awesome! Eat as many as you can every day!
24. Depression and mental health are nothing to be ashamed of.
25. If you’re feeling down and or depressed, talk to someone, don’t bottle up your feelings.
26. Be a good friend, listen and offer advice only when it’s asked for.
27. Talk to your children, be a person they can talk to and trust.
28. The first 3 minutes your child wakes up and the first 3 minutes after they leave school are the most important times of a child’s day.
29. Try new hobbies. Don’t be afraid to open yourself up to new things.
30. Your health is really important – quit smoking and cut down on the booze!
31. As you age you’re not as energetic as you were when you were younger. But don’t let that stop you – do activities at your own pace.
32. There is a great satisfaction to be had on a dry sunny when you can hang your washing out! This is nothing to be ashamed of!
33. Family doesn’t end with blood. But just because you’re blood it doesn’t make you family!
34. Make time for yourself to relax. You are important!
35. One of the most important things I’ve learnt! Getting older isn’t scary – with age comes wisdom. You’ll become wiser each year!
I think 35 will be a good year for me! As I look back and realise I learnt so many things, I feel my wisdom can only grow!